The Misconceptions of Blindness

Trial Runners, a full-service ophthalmology CRO, partners with pharmaceutical, biotech and device companies to bring treatments and cures to 1.3 million Americans who are legally blind. While so many patients are afflicted with this debilitating condition, the condition is wrought with misconceptions.

 

# 1 – BLIND PEOPLE CAN’T SEE.

The truth is that some legally blind people (18% according to the National Federation of the Blind) cannot see, but complete vision loss is not required in order to be diagnosed legally blind. Legally blind patients suffering from varying degrees of vision loss significant enough to limit their ability to complete certain tasks like driving.

#2 – BLIND PEOPLE DON’T DREAM.

Contrary to popular belief, the blind experience vivid dreams dominated by sounds, smells, and tastes rather than visual depictions. The visually impaired who were born with sight often experience very visual dreams.

#3 – MOST VISION LOSS RESULTS FROM INJURY.

In actuality, less than 3% of people declared legally blind lost vision due to an accident, according to the American Foundation for the Blind. The vast majority of patients diagnosed with blindness can blame eye disease for their vision loss.

#4 – BLIND PEOPLE SEE DARKNESS.

Actually, over 80% of legally blind people can see well enough to differentiate between dark and light. Those suffering from complete vision loss (18%) are not able to detect light.

#5 – MOST VISUALLY IMPAIRED PEOPLE ARE BORN THAT WAY.

According to the NFB, just 1% of the total blind population is born unable to see. The remaining 99% lost vision due to debilitating eye disease. The most common culprits? Glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetes.

#6 – BLINDNESS CANNOT BE PREVENTED.

This myth takes hope away where it may otherwise exist. Because most vision loss is the result of eye disease, which can be managed, slowed, or even cured with appropriate intervention, blindness can be prevented in many cases. Patients can do their part to prevent blindness by making healthy lifestyle choices and scheduling an annual comprehensive eye exam.

#7 – YOU HAVE TO BE BLIND TO PARTICIPATE IN TRIALS.

New medications are often tested on both healthy subjects as well as subjects who can benefit from the drug. Healthy patients play a vital role in bringing life-changing treatments to market.

 

Clinical research has brought hope to patients suffering from a myriad of eye diseases by bringing treatments to market that safely slow or stop the progression of disease. However, most eye diseases can’t be cured and lost vision can never be regained. There is still work to do.

Trial Runners, a niche ophthalmology CRO, is proud to provide clinical trial management services to dedicated drug developers. Learn what makes us different here.